Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding on Eating Light in the Heat
When the weather gets warm, the last thing many people want to do is cook. The kitchen heats up fast when the oven is on, so other temptations rise. But ordering takeout or going to a restaurant may not be the healthiest options. Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding discusses some of the best foods to promote weight loss this summer. Eating fresh, seasonal food helps you stay cool and on track for your goals.
Summer Ingredients for Weight Loss
Part of healthy eating means using in-season fruits and vegetables. Become a regular at your local farmer’s market. Keep your kitchen stocked with ingredients like these:
- Tomatoes – Everyone’s favorite fruit we call a vegetable, it has come to symbolize summer foods. Antioxidant-rich and versatile, the possibilities for meals are endless. If you’re a salsa fan, explore ways to replace the tortilla chip with something healthier.
- Seafood – Shrimp is on top of the list when it comes to healthy summer dinners. But these seafood recipes featuring halibut, tuna and salmon are light and easy for warm weather.
- Grilled Vegetables – Grilling is such a convenient way to cook during the summer, and vegetables must not be overlooked. These recipes will make eating your vegetables easy and enjoyable.
- Summer Greens – Are you in a Romaine rut? Summer is the perfect opportunity to go outside your standard salad box. Leafy choices like kale, chard and watercress are vitamin-packed and flavorful. Try some recipes to see which will become your favorites.
- Fruit for Dessert – In the hot weather, satisfy a sweet tooth with fiber-rich berries that will help you feel full longer. Watermelon is a delicious favorite that is also mostly water, so you’ll fight dehydration without even trying.
Consultations with Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding
If you would like to learn about your weight loss options, including bariatric surgery, speak to an expert. Contact Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding at the NYU Langone Weight Management Program.