Prepare for a Healthy Week with Dr. Ren-Fielding NYU Weight Management Program Bariatric Surgeon
When you want to lose weight, meal prep is one of the best tools you can use. Meal prep is when you take one day and prepare all your meals for the coming week. This helps you stay in control of everything you eat from breakfasts to dinners and snacks. Dr. Ren-Fielding, NYU Weight Management Program bariatric surgeon, recommends meal prep for weight loss with the following tips and advice.
Why Meal Prep for Weight Loss Works
Prepping your meals for the week is helpful for many reasons. It allows you to stay organized and eat nutritious foods. It also keeps you from straying off course when you are trying to lose weight. Often times, people are so busy they end up ordering in or relying on old bad habits like fried or convenience foods. Dr. Ren-Fielding, NYU Weight Management Program bariatric surgeon, says being prepared is the first step to healthy eating. Here are some things you will need for food prep:
- First choose a day to do your meal prep for weight loss. Most people choose a weekend day like Sunday, as it will take some time.
- Next make sure you have enough containers. Choose containers that are:
- BPA free
- Freezer and dishwasher safe
- Finally, choose which meal you will prepare first. It’s a good idea to keep track of your meals in a food journal. This will also give you a place to record recipes and tips.
Dr. Ren-Fielding, NYU Weight Management Program Bariatric Surgeon on Breakfast Meal Prep
The food you eat for breakfast sets the tone for your whole day. It gets your metabolism going and gives you nutrients you need to succeed. Here are some healthy ideas for breakfasts for meal prep for weight loss.
- Love smoothies for breakfast but hate how long they take to make? These make ahead smoothies will save you the time each morning. Just empty into blender and press go.
- Eggs are healthy and can be convenient when you prep them. Hard boiled eggs are good but can get boring. Try some “egg muffins” to eat for the whole week. Or try ideas like this avocado and egg meal prep for a protein-rich start to your day.
- Overnight oats are a popular no-cook method of preparing oatmeal. Instead of cooking on the stovetop, you prepare your mixture and put in the fridge overnight. Try these healthy and delicious ideas for breakfast this week.
- These breakfast burritos are healthy and great for on-the-go mornings. Use turkey bacon and freeze ahead of time. Microwave 2-3 minutes and enjoy.
Living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t have to be complicated. With these breakfast meal prep ideas, you stay in control of your diet. This will keep you motivated, which will have other positive effects on your life. Dr. Ren-Fielding, NYU Weight Management Program bariatric surgeon says it all starts with a commitment to your good health. Next week – Part Two for meal prep for weight loss: lunch and dinner ideas!
If you would like to know more about your weight loss options, consult an expert like Dr. Ren-Fielding, NYU Weight Management Program bariatric surgeon. Visit the NYU Langone Weight Management Program for more information.